Friday, January 24, 2014

Therapy Team 1

I love learning. The process of learning what therapy was for stroke survivors was fascinating for me.  As a teacher and would-be perennial student, learning about the benefits and machinations of occupational, physical, and speech therapy was exciting. I knew it was critical for me to observe John’s process and progress from the standpoint of being an advocate for his care. However, once I was able to be at his appointments as much as possible, I got hooked on the process itself. It was as if I was back in college, taking a new class, cracking open a fresh smelling new textbook and diving into a new opportunity to learn something completely different.

Looking back at my reaction to learning about therapy, I realize how grateful I am now that I found Therapy 101 so exciting. My excitement put me on a gratitude ship that allowed me to sail right through the tragedy of why John and I were really in all of these therapy classes. I was able to focus on the goals of his improvement without looking back at the past at all. I locked my panic about John’s condition in a footlocker and tucked it away in a musty closet in the hold of the ship. As long as I didn’t dwell on the panic and fear inside me, I could enjoy my new titles: Chief Advocate and Captain Support.

I felt empowered.  I could throw him the lifeline that would help him improve. As long as he grabbed the other end of that lifeline, together, John and I could do this! Our team attitude that was well developed from our music performing careers together kicked in.  We could get him back to his former self. If we practiced daily and kept on the same page of the score, he would be walking and talking in no time. All he had to do was pick up the other end of the lifeline I threw to him.


At least this was my plan, this was the theory. I learned many lessons along the way about that plan. 


 2014 Nancy Weckwerth


2 comments:

  1. Coming to your blog posts after a long time, I'm reading the most recent one on your approach to therapy. I'm struck by how far you have come emotionally and how much the rapidity of that transformation was built on the prior partnership between John and you in your work as performers. Of course, your attitude toward that partnership as well as to learning new things is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Jayasri. I'm truly hoping that others will benefit from reading these posts. The growth and learning process in our situation was really a choice John and I made. We made the shift quickly to setting aside grief and deal with our situation. We understood that that was how we would get the best outcome. We knew that the quicker we changed, the happier we would be, too. This is the lesson we learned that I hope will help others.

    ReplyDelete